About Aaron



Aaron was a normal 4 year old boy. He loved school, his family, his friends, and just having fun.  One day in February 2012, Aaron began having a rough week. He was not sleeping well and complained about some back pain, but otherwise acted normally. He even made it through ice skating lessons and rock climbing at a birthday party. Aaron continued to get worse though, and was taken to the pediatrician twice and emergency room once, each time being sent home with ideas that he had night terrors, constipation or maybe a kidney issue.


On February 25th he stopped walking.


Aaron was rushed to the ER where they performed an MRI. We found out that he had a large mass on his spine and needed immediate surgery. The Dr's removed 90% of the tumor.  We found out a few days later that he had a rare bone and soft tissue cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma. Only about 250 kids a year are diagnosed with Ewing's. Even more rare, his had spread making him stage 4.


A few days after surgery he began to have movement in his feet and legs again. He had a port surgically placed and began chemotherapy. His first stay at the hospital was 32 days.  He had many pokes and prods but kept a smile on his face for the most part. He under went physical therapy and slowly began walking again. He had to travel to Jacksonville, Florida for proton therapy radiation.


By September 16, 2012, Aaron had completed 14 rounds of chemotherapy and 28 days of radiation. He has endured 3 surgeries and a feeding tube.  He received nightly shots (over 140 of them).  Aaron lost all of his hair, dropped some weight, and had a painful radiation burn on his back.  In 2012, he spent 82 nights in the hospital.


Despite all he went through, all Aaron has wanted to do is make the other kids in the hospital happy. He is just a fun loving - and people-loving - kid, who loves to wear costumes, play with his brother, and of course donate toys to the hospital to help others like himself.


Aaron has been disease free since his first follow-up scans in October 2012, and will hopefully stay that way.  He still has his port, which will hopefully be removed soon.  He has monthly doctor appointments and blood tests. He will continue to have scans every 3 months for the next 2 years and then every 6 months for 3 years following that. He will be 10.5 when he finishes his scans.


Since before Aaron finished treatment, he has talked about doing things for the other kids still going through the treatment he will hopefully never have to endure himself again.